It is difficult for a beginner to understand the whole diversity of events presented. Let’s take a closer look at the most popular running competitions among sports betting enthusiasts.
Most Prestigious Competitions in Running
The most significant event in the sporting world is the Olympic Games. For bettors, such events are profitable and long-awaited, but they are maintained every 4 years, which is a significant disadvantage of this type of championship. To get started, let’s take a look at some of the biggest running events that you can bet on.
- Summer Olympic Games – such international events are often presented for betting among bookmakers. These tournaments are held every four years. The advantages of this type of contest are their high popularity, high coefficients, variety of disciplines, high motivation of athletes, availability of information about athletes, and the conditions for conducting races. The main disadvantage of betting on the Summer Olympics is that they are held only once every four years.
- The World and European Championships in Athletics is a small analog of the Olympic Games. Some bookmakers accept wagers on such events, even bets on junior contests. Previously, events of this format were held, like the Olympics, once every four years, but since 2012, it has been decided to hold such tournaments every two years, which makes betting on such sporting events more attractive.
- Cross-country World Championship – such events are held every two years. Participants in the race run over rough terrain over a distance of 10.2 kilometers. Such tournaments are less common among the wagers offered by bookmakers, but sometimes they bring good profits to experienced bettors.
- Diamond League – such athletics events are held under the auspices of the International Association of Athletics Federations. Such tournaments are held every year and in addition to the various disciplines of athletics, such as javelin throw, including many running competitions. This type of contest is very prestigious and profitable for betting. The famous Jamaican record holder Usain Bolt participated in this type of tournament.
The Most Popular Marathon Races for Betting
In addition to the standard running disciplines of the Olympic standard, long marathon races are also popular, which are also widely represented in bookmakers. Let’s look at the most popular of them.
- The Berlin Marathon has been running since 1964. At that time, only 700 people took part in the race for a distance of 42 kilometers 195 meters. At the moment, this is one of the most prestigious and popular races, in which more than 60,000 athletes take part annually. The record time to complete the distance of the Berlin Marathon is 2 hours 1 minute and 39 seconds. The record was set in 2018 by runner Eliud Kipochoge.
- The London Marathon is one of the premier running events in the world. This marathon has been running since 1981. Such races annually attract about 50,000 athletes from all over the world. The race is broadcast annually by the BBC. In 2017, the women’s record for this marathon was set by Kenyan Meri Keitani. She ran the London Marathon in 2 hours 17 minutes and 1 second.
- The Dubai Marathon is a major sporting event that is certified gold by the IAAF. It is one of the most prestigious and rich competitions thanks to its sponsors and patrons. This marathon is supported by the Crown Prince of Dubai and Standard Chartered Bank. The prize fund of this race is about 1,000,000 US dollars.
Choose Competitions Suitable for Victory
Athletics and running events are not particularly diverse, but surpass all other sports in their prevalence. Olympic events are more suitable for bettors who understand the sport and are willing to wait a few years to study statistics. For a quick win, you can choose any marathon or local sports presented by bookmakers.